Week 23. Still enduring!
24th to 30th September.
Monday, all my clothes are arranged into the wardrobe. Again, 3 doors still missing. My relative has yet to calculate the cost for those. I reminded him.. and he said he need few more days. He's rather busy with a bungalow project in Muar. :) Fingers crossed that the price will not be too much for us to bear....
Tuesday, received a call from Buimaco, the tile shop, informed us that the tiles will not be ready by this Saturday................ :( need to wait for updates on the coming Monday. WHY IS THIS TILE BEING SO DIFFICULT I REALLY DON'T KNOW..... sigh.... still trying to believe that God's timing is perfect perfect and perfect.
Wednesday, Joshua and I checked out a steel cabinet in 73. There are 3 in the masterbedroom. My grandfather put them there since the 90s hoping that it creates a wall to prevent thieves to climb straight into the bedroom. :) I've seen these cabinets here since young.. and never thought that I will be inheriting one! :D Well the last round our aunties were here to clear things up, one of them said she will take the 2 big ones. So I can only touch the small one, and interestingly, I prefer the small one. :D Because I have plans to put a small white board on it to write to-do reminder list in our office area!
Enough said, our mission was to look for the key. The cabinet that can be locked and that's the main thing we're looking for. How we started with this was that we wanted to get a safe to lock Joshua's camera gear and our passports... but safe is expensive, the decent size ones at least RM1k... Anyway I told Joshua to look through the room to locate the keys for the cabinets. True enough, he found the keys in the red pouch in this glass door cabinet. My grandma must've kept them there. :D
We're thrilled to be able to find the keys!! Yeay!! So this small steel cabinet is definitely coming to our side.... Will have to ask Ah Hoong to help with the shifting! :)
Friday, my relative finally called, quoted RM2200 for making 3 matching wardrobe doors, replacing all 10 handles, installing a white board behind our Ikea chest of 6 drawers and installing a laminated door for our shoes storage corner. We find it quite expensive but my relative said he already tried his best to give us his best price, this price is obviously inclusive of transportation charges. Hmmm..... we discussed, calculated and compared with other quotation we received earlier on changing all 10 doors for RM2600..... trying to rationalise our decision. You may ask again, how about pursuing for the stupid carpenter to refund and build a new wardrobe for us? We talked about it, if we're bringing the case to tribunal court, we have to live with the cabinet untouched, cannot repair and when necessary empty it. If we show that we're using it, it indicates that we're accepting the quality. :( So we concluded, we want to move on with life, there're so much more exciting things ahead of us. :) We will still issue a letter to them to say that contract between us has terminated so that they cannot claim the balance from us anymore. On top of that, I plan to write about them negatively on all related forums I can find on the internet. I just need time.... let me sort out our office corner, then I will plan the attack! ;)
Saturday, relaxing saturday but filled with house errands. We met up with Nesh water filter system sales man at our house at 10am. He talked about the products until 12.30pm!! @.@ I know!! Joshua was rushing to the toilet so he sort of made him leave.. just before he leave he said he actually needed to close our deal in order to hit his target to earn himself an incentive trip to Cambodia. Ok.... we said we will try our best to help but we were going to check out the Bacfree water filter system too. :) So we went to Bacfree in the afternoon, found out that it is RM1k more expensive. Both brands uses different technology. Nesh uses membrane filter which requires replacement every 5 to 6 years. Bacfree uses carbon and quartz filter which lasts for a lifetime. Both needs weekly backwash to ensure quality of filter. The indoor filter for Nesh is bigger compared to Bacfree, but Nesh has the option of combining to our existing kitchen tap. The outdoor filter for Nesh is also smaller compared to Bacfree which is what people call the size of a rocket. Haha. Nesh can give us 12 months instalment but Bacfree only allowed 6 months. Of all these comparisons we made, we decided to go with Nesh. :) But we only want to contact the salesman the next day, just in case we change our mind about it.
While waiting for Joshua to bring me to the hardware shop to buy paint, I did some planning on our gallery wall at dining area. :) These are photo frames I've collected so far. The 2 white ribba frames were house warming gift by church friend Wei Chee. I told her I wanted a huge one but she misunderstood... haha.
Our gallery wall is 8.5 feet wide so I tried to spread out the frames to reach 8 feet. You may noticed a grey chopping board there, it is just an idea of where I will place our huge ribba frame which I will buy in November, when we're less cash tight. :)
Next, we bought red spray paint and shifted the steel cabinet! :) Yes, from 73 upstairs, down the stairs.
We used the old mattress as base, to prevent the floor from being scratched, at the same time even out the weight of the cabinet during the move.
Get ready to see Joshua in full action.
From the staircase, we push the cabinet to the upper landing, through the kitchen backdoor, through the back garden.............
through the back alley...
finally it landed in 71. Hehe.
We opened up the mattress and place the cabinet in the middle.
These "bandages" was used to prevent the drawers from opening during the move..... now is time to remove.
I also removed the tissue cushion my grandma taped on. :)
Look at the residual glue from the maskin tape. It's hard to remove. We tried wiping, scraping and lastly sanding...
I went on to sand the whole cabinet from top to bottom.
It rained in the evening but didn't bother me... thank God I made the awning 1 feet longer than half of the space. :D
Noticed this in the inner part of drawer. One of my uncles or aunties' handwriting.
The drawers are all covered with dust and brown stains. Mostly because it's been neglected for years.
This is the best I could achieve. The white marks are actually stamps that were stuck to the drawer.
Anyway, I spent hours wiping the cabinets clean inside and out. Followed by sanding and scraping the old paint out as much as I can. I also noticed that this cabinet was definitely painted before, I could see paint brush lines at corners. Also these stickers really made me suspect that this cabinet was in my grandfather's office in Setiawan.......... Anne came to help with sanding as well. :) Before I know it, it's already 7pm and I continued until 7.30pm with the fluorescent lights on. When we go for dinner, I leave the drawers open to dry. Looking forward to continue on it the next day!
Sunday, after church and after lunch I was back at home. Without hesitation I got change and went to the back to continue on the steel cabinet. Anne came to help too. I did a final round of sanding and wiping and then started SPRAYING. :D
Ok I must say I'm lousy at spraying paint. My fingers are weak at controlling the spray so I tend to overspray at one spot causing it to drip and it is very ugly. So I left the important task to Anne. ;) She's really good at it.
Joshua said we only needed 1 can, but we finished it before we could spray the right side of the cabinet. -_- And it's Sunday so the hardware shop is not open.....
24th to 30th September.
Monday, all my clothes are arranged into the wardrobe. Again, 3 doors still missing. My relative has yet to calculate the cost for those. I reminded him.. and he said he need few more days. He's rather busy with a bungalow project in Muar. :) Fingers crossed that the price will not be too much for us to bear....
Tuesday, received a call from Buimaco, the tile shop, informed us that the tiles will not be ready by this Saturday................ :( need to wait for updates on the coming Monday. WHY IS THIS TILE BEING SO DIFFICULT I REALLY DON'T KNOW..... sigh.... still trying to believe that God's timing is perfect perfect and perfect.
Wednesday, Joshua and I checked out a steel cabinet in 73. There are 3 in the masterbedroom. My grandfather put them there since the 90s hoping that it creates a wall to prevent thieves to climb straight into the bedroom. :) I've seen these cabinets here since young.. and never thought that I will be inheriting one! :D Well the last round our aunties were here to clear things up, one of them said she will take the 2 big ones. So I can only touch the small one, and interestingly, I prefer the small one. :D Because I have plans to put a small white board on it to write to-do reminder list in our office area!
Check out my grandma's doings. She taped tissues over the sharp steel corners so that no one will get hurt. :) It's not pretty but her intention was beautiful. :D
Enough said, our mission was to look for the key. The cabinet that can be locked and that's the main thing we're looking for. How we started with this was that we wanted to get a safe to lock Joshua's camera gear and our passports... but safe is expensive, the decent size ones at least RM1k... Anyway I told Joshua to look through the room to locate the keys for the cabinets. True enough, he found the keys in the red pouch in this glass door cabinet. My grandma must've kept them there. :D
We're thrilled to be able to find the keys!! Yeay!! So this small steel cabinet is definitely coming to our side.... Will have to ask Ah Hoong to help with the shifting! :)
Thursday, I pondered upon the steel cabinet.. and had an idea to repaint it! :D I planned to move it down from 73 on our own, had it sanded and sprayed with red paint. :) I chose red paint because I can't think of any other colour that will make this cabinet more outstanding. I was going for the red post office look or the red phone booth in England look.. :D The key question now is how to move such a heavy steel cabinet down the stairs on our own? I googled. Apparently we can use old carpet or old blanket as base, meaning lay the cabinet on the carpet, then just simply pull the carpet down the steps slowly. We have an old mattress that we were going to get rid of! That's perfect! The plan of doing this on my own is brewing in my head the whole day... and of course I shared this with Joshua, and he said he wants to be involved.. so I have to wait. :)
Friday, my relative finally called, quoted RM2200 for making 3 matching wardrobe doors, replacing all 10 handles, installing a white board behind our Ikea chest of 6 drawers and installing a laminated door for our shoes storage corner. We find it quite expensive but my relative said he already tried his best to give us his best price, this price is obviously inclusive of transportation charges. Hmmm..... we discussed, calculated and compared with other quotation we received earlier on changing all 10 doors for RM2600..... trying to rationalise our decision. You may ask again, how about pursuing for the stupid carpenter to refund and build a new wardrobe for us? We talked about it, if we're bringing the case to tribunal court, we have to live with the cabinet untouched, cannot repair and when necessary empty it. If we show that we're using it, it indicates that we're accepting the quality. :( So we concluded, we want to move on with life, there're so much more exciting things ahead of us. :) We will still issue a letter to them to say that contract between us has terminated so that they cannot claim the balance from us anymore. On top of that, I plan to write about them negatively on all related forums I can find on the internet. I just need time.... let me sort out our office corner, then I will plan the attack! ;)
Saturday, relaxing saturday but filled with house errands. We met up with Nesh water filter system sales man at our house at 10am. He talked about the products until 12.30pm!! @.@ I know!! Joshua was rushing to the toilet so he sort of made him leave.. just before he leave he said he actually needed to close our deal in order to hit his target to earn himself an incentive trip to Cambodia. Ok.... we said we will try our best to help but we were going to check out the Bacfree water filter system too. :) So we went to Bacfree in the afternoon, found out that it is RM1k more expensive. Both brands uses different technology. Nesh uses membrane filter which requires replacement every 5 to 6 years. Bacfree uses carbon and quartz filter which lasts for a lifetime. Both needs weekly backwash to ensure quality of filter. The indoor filter for Nesh is bigger compared to Bacfree, but Nesh has the option of combining to our existing kitchen tap. The outdoor filter for Nesh is also smaller compared to Bacfree which is what people call the size of a rocket. Haha. Nesh can give us 12 months instalment but Bacfree only allowed 6 months. Of all these comparisons we made, we decided to go with Nesh. :) But we only want to contact the salesman the next day, just in case we change our mind about it.
While waiting for Joshua to bring me to the hardware shop to buy paint, I did some planning on our gallery wall at dining area. :) These are photo frames I've collected so far. The 2 white ribba frames were house warming gift by church friend Wei Chee. I told her I wanted a huge one but she misunderstood... haha.
Our gallery wall is 8.5 feet wide so I tried to spread out the frames to reach 8 feet. You may noticed a grey chopping board there, it is just an idea of where I will place our huge ribba frame which I will buy in November, when we're less cash tight. :)
Next, we bought red spray paint and shifted the steel cabinet! :) Yes, from 73 upstairs, down the stairs.
We used the old mattress as base, to prevent the floor from being scratched, at the same time even out the weight of the cabinet during the move.
Get ready to see Joshua in full action.
From the staircase, we push the cabinet to the upper landing, through the kitchen backdoor, through the back garden.............
through the back alley...
finally it landed in 71. Hehe.
We opened up the mattress and place the cabinet in the middle.
These "bandages" was used to prevent the drawers from opening during the move..... now is time to remove.
I also removed the tissue cushion my grandma taped on. :)
Look at the residual glue from the maskin tape. It's hard to remove. We tried wiping, scraping and lastly sanding...
I went on to sand the whole cabinet from top to bottom.
It rained in the evening but didn't bother me... thank God I made the awning 1 feet longer than half of the space. :D
Noticed this in the inner part of drawer. One of my uncles or aunties' handwriting.
The drawers are all covered with dust and brown stains. Mostly because it's been neglected for years.
This is the best I could achieve. The white marks are actually stamps that were stuck to the drawer.
Anyway, I spent hours wiping the cabinets clean inside and out. Followed by sanding and scraping the old paint out as much as I can. I also noticed that this cabinet was definitely painted before, I could see paint brush lines at corners. Also these stickers really made me suspect that this cabinet was in my grandfather's office in Setiawan.......... Anne came to help with sanding as well. :) Before I know it, it's already 7pm and I continued until 7.30pm with the fluorescent lights on. When we go for dinner, I leave the drawers open to dry. Looking forward to continue on it the next day!
Sunday, after church and after lunch I was back at home. Without hesitation I got change and went to the back to continue on the steel cabinet. Anne came to help too. I did a final round of sanding and wiping and then started SPRAYING. :D
Ok I must say I'm lousy at spraying paint. My fingers are weak at controlling the spray so I tend to overspray at one spot causing it to drip and it is very ugly. So I left the important task to Anne. ;) She's really good at it.
Joshua said we only needed 1 can, but we finished it before we could spray the right side of the cabinet. -_- And it's Sunday so the hardware shop is not open.....
After the paint is dry, we sweep our fingers across and noticed that our finger will have some red paint. We suspected that the paint is of low quality although the price is quite high. RM7 for 1 can.... so in the evening, we went to Houz Depot to get another brand. We were assured of good quality, matte finish and bright red. We bought 2, but can only continue painting on Monday. :)
Oh ya, Joshua told the Nesh salesman on our interest to buy Nesh water filter system, so he came to our house at 9pm, we signed and swiped my card for 12 months instalment. Getting a water filter is the last in my list, but first in Joshua's list.... so I really didn't expect a RM303 deducted from my pay every month, I guess we have to scale down on our expenditure quite a bit in the coming months! ;)












No comments:
Post a Comment