Friday, April 14, 2017

Mini Milestones : Jasper's 16th month

This month, Jasper has started to say more words.

He calls baba... sounds like dada. He calls mama too but only during midnight or bedtime, when he wants me to go over. Other times, I asked him to call mama, he shakes his head I think indicating he doesn't want to. -_-

Since we got him his green crocs (less than RM30 and the only pair his size), he's been wearing it daily. He loves to walk and a pair of crocs makes wearing for him much faster, instead of socks and velcro closure shoes. Even once he wore it all the way into the kitchen.
He knows how to point at his shoes too, to get us to wear for him, especially when he sees us take keys to go out, maybe throw rubbish or take things from the car.
So he is now wearing the old red crocs at the back. Now whenever he's outdoor at the porch, he wants to get down to walk on his own. 

6th March, he plays with the square shape puzzles.


With guidance he is able to do this puzzles, but eventually all he found fun was to stuff everything into it from the orange hole. At one point I was wondering where are the small toys that used to be lying around... then I found them few days later being stuffed into this puzzle. 
He is also play with this drawing board after seeing Jasmine playing it.
He draws!

He loves to stand on stools, small & big. Sometimes he comes to us for help to get up, and once he stands on it, he gives a really handsome smile. Like so proud of his achievement.
Sometimes he sits down on the stool too. And when he's on it, he makes some sound like he's singing or shakes his body. We are always nearby to make sure he doesn't fall.

His bad eating habit is when he eats and spits out everything along with his saliva. Sometimes he finds a new texture in the food, he spits out. Sometimes he saw a new food coming, instead of work towards swallowing the existing food, he spits out.


When we are at the back, I did some plant watering. He observed and imitated with the same dipper. But the way he did it was more like pushing the plant downwards, poor plant.

Sitting in the car seat, he most of the time will free up both arms. It's dangerous on the road when he's not properly tied up in car seat but I can't do anything about it. We thought maybe the car seat is too tight, we adjusted and he still does it. If he couldn't free up his arms (sometimes he takes longer) he will cry.

Once he free up his arms, he will call me from behind "mama" and I know just what he wants i.e. pacifier. So I will reach out for the pouch that holds the pacifier, he could hear it and will lift up his chubby baby hands to receive it. Once he get it, I could see from the mirror, he will give a cute giggle, and like a drug addict, quickly stuff the pacifier into his mouth.

Next month he will be joining Jasmine at Little Legends, so I've been telling Jasmine, April Jasper will start going to Little Legend.

He is now able to hold milk bottle himself. It was Jasmine &Joshua who insisted that he hold it himself.
See how she supervises the brother?
Other times we still like to hold it for him, to make sure he's not sucking in air when the milk finishes. 




One night, Joshua randomly played a series of drum beat on his phone and Jasper naturally danced according to it.

Bedtime, there will always be a time where Jasmine wants to play with her girly stuffs and Jasper comes in to disturb. 

For example when Jasmine discovered my nail polish and wanted to apply on her fingers & toes. She will be holding it and Jasper will insist to be holding one bottle too. So I let him hold one bottle just for the fun of it. Then he will observe how Jasmine's nails were done.
Both will wrestle a little on Jasmine's bed before we sit down to read story books.


His favourite books are still honey rabbit and the blue Sesame Street phonics book.


When he comes over at night (every night), I wish he sleeps quietly. He gets up multiple times for milk and sometimes when he couldn't get my attention he head butt me. It's so painful I feel I may have gotten ulcer because of it. On 16 March, 2am, he was on our bed and did major rolling again, fell off the bed. This time he landed on his back instead of on his arms. Of course cried loudly.


Another night, after I fed him, put him down with the pacifier. Jasmine was having fever so I walked over to the room to check on her, did sponging for her.. and it was 4am, he came over to look for me.

Nap time on weekends, he always end up sweating in the playpen
One weekend he was extremely sleepy. 
Way past his nap time, we took him out from playpen and he still continues his sleep.

He started wearing adults shoes, not mine, not Joshua's, but Anne's! He wore her flats (new flats) and walks around happily.


Whenever the baby gate to the kitchen is free up, he will seize the opportunity and gain his rightful access into the area. He will first enter the drum room, to get the blue & yellow watering cans. But I saw him putting the tip where the water comes out into his mouth (so so so dirty!!) and he still does it after being warned, I kept those on top of the drums. He can't reach those and started to divert attention to other things.. he found a box of daiso zip logs..... without us noticing, he took out piece by piece... when I discover, I couldn't scold. Because it's not dirty, not dangerous... just inconvenient for me to keep them back and ugly to be used. So I let him continue playing. He's done it a few rounds this month. Now I keep the zip log bag a little higher, if he wants it, he has to ask for help. But whenever he asks, he gets it.

He must have grown taller, he could ride on the yellow car on his own now! Thank God we don't need to push him around anymore. Once Joshua got tired of pushing him, he used rafia string to tie to the handle and pulled him around the sofa.
He also start to play cooking and dance to the music that plays from it.

He discovered that he can easily throw the towel down from upstairs. He does it a few times and we got very strict with him, beat & warn him until he stop doing it. Once he was supposed to go for bath and started playing with Joshua's drawer of clothes. He took out some and dragged the t-shirts around to and fro rooms. And finally he left them in the bathroom, thank God our bathroom floor is always dry.

Played hide & seek with Joshua and they took turns to hide under the sheets.




Playing with the blue box, he started to climb into it.

And also put over his head. 

We went to Ikea and this time he really enjoyed himself.
Spent a long time here on this small table and small chair, until Joshua thinking maybe we should buy that small toys.. but it's a bit too pricy for us to splurge on.




Bought chalk from Ikea and we did chalk drawing at the back.
Started off Jasper will just help himself with the swing.
After that he decided he wants to draw too.
After he's bored with plants watering.
So he draws, Joshua kept close watch so he won't put the chalk into his mouth.




One weekend we went to Sunway Lagoon for Jerome's Ninja turtle theme birthday party.
We are first to arrive...
I dressed both kids in the mothercare onesie that were a set, only Jasper's one had the sleeve chopped off.
There were chocolate cakes served, and according to Joshua while Jasper was holding it to eat.. the cake fell to the floor, Joshua was carrying Jasmine when Jasper actually went face down to eat the cake off the floor! -_- 
Ninja turtle ! He just runs around playing with the big kids.. and after he's tired, he slept in the stroller while Joshua took Jasmine to the pool, and me chatting with the ladies.

Jasper's first time at KK Park to feed bread to the tortoises.
He throws the bread into the lake.

From the Ikea experience, I've been trying to see if I can get 2 chairs with chair back for him & Jasmine to use in the living room. The quickest option was use the existing chairs we had upstairs, as the fan's stand. And true to my prediction, he loves sitting on the green chair!
Sit at the table to do some drawing or play some toys on the table.. 
Or watch TV

Or eat snacks.
Not just the green chair, the rocker is also favourite relax spot.
Plays with the yellow float too, just sit in and relax. 

18 March Jasper's first visit to SS17 fire station for Zach Zach's birthday party.
Went into the fire truck for one round. 
He may not really understand what was going on, but I still dressed in the right colour! :P
Also took part in the water hose spraying water.
The part he enjoyed most was this steps. He just enjoy holding himself up there till he's tired out. 

This month I got enough of the problem of not able to locate our thermometer in the house, I went on to buy 3 or 4 thermometers to place around the house - upstairs x1, downstairs x3. And Jasper playing with the empty box and warranty card a bit during church service. 
He likes to wear hat now.



At homes, Joshua found this sunglasses (must be Elijah's) and wore it for him. Reminds me that I must get him a pair.
And a hat to complete the look.

Taken at Shin Wee's parents' house, how is the height comparison? Is he tall for his age? I can't tell.

When pest control came for inspection at our house, the kids were really busy body. They just keep observing. 

Weekend when Ah Ma & Jiu Jiu were here at Subang.

Sunday brunch with Ah Ma at Black Canyon, where he had the biscuits that came with Ah Ma's coffee and my noodles - didn't eat so well that day though.
After that we went next door to buy Ah Yi's sport shoes, where he saw an old aunty trying out shoes and he kept getting the same type and pass to her. And he wanted me to help him put on the shoes too.

That same weekend Sunday night, we went to USJ house too.

Middle of the month, he has fever on and off... but nothing above 38 degrees.
Then we realise he starting to refuse dinner. We couldn't even feed him one spoonful. @.@ When I offer him food, he just kept shaking his head. If I manage to stuff some into his mouth, he spits out straight away, even after being beaten!  I changed to give him plain bread and cornflakes, he only takes a little bit... and he definitely cries a lot. Because I want him to stay in the high chair till he's taken enough food, I also started to lock him on the high chair. When he realise he can't stand up, he cries somemore.

At first we told Lian about this. Lian was surprise because he could eat very well at her house. Then.... suddenly one day Lian say, he also start to refuse food in her place. My first thought was, did Jasper understood every word I told Lian? and he decided to do the same to Lian? He's only 15-16 months old, that smart?

We tried giving him white rice, cornflakes, pinenuts, bread, pasta, let him feed himself with bare hands or spoon... with or without youtube videos, he only eat.. a little bit. He can go empty stomach from morning all the way till 3.30pm on Sunday. He will latch on only and then have his nap, and eat a bit of porridge. Sometimes Joshua tries to feed him some oats, he could eat more than usual, and Joshua will find it a miracle that he opens mouth willingness, eat and swallow. I will be trying to avoid eye contact at all, because I worry an eye contact will make him decide not to eat again. It's that bad. I tried asking church friends whether their kids went through such a phase, most said is due to ear infection or other discomfort. I look at Jasper, he looked fine! And thought we shall give him another week to see if he continues to reject food, then we need a proper check up by specialist.

At Lian's house, especially after weekend, she say he looks weak and just wants to lie down. Of course, because he ate so little. So she will try different strategy and different food to make him eat, small meals throughout the day. Really appreciate her for that. Then she said to us on 20th March (Monday), he sounds chesty, like he has quite some phlegm. She asked us whether we will take him to a doctor? I was hesitant... then that night he had high fever, above 39 degrees. He had green mucus and we can hear his thick phlegm through his breathing. He also lost his voice, when he cries during midnight, I could hardly hear him. We did sponging for him to get the temperature down, but he cries the minute I leave the wet towel on his forehead. So we took half day off on 21st March, just to take him to Dr Koe. Waited until almost 11am! Note to self, no matter what day of the week, just go before 7.3am. Anyway Jasper weighed 9.9kg only that morning. His last meal was the day before at Lian's house 5.30pm, and he continue to refuse food & drinks the whole time we're waiting for Dr Koe.




We tried to feed him wan tan mee but it's a bit too hard for him although he did try to nibble on them. I offered the wan ton skin but he didn't approve it. End up he only takes the wan ton soup. He doesn't even like the mango pudding we bought from the fruit stall outside the clinic.
Finally saw Dr Koe, she said he has throat infection, thank God his lungs are clear. She prescribed augmentin (antibiotics) again along with cough syrup & phlegm medicine (salbutamol). We sent him straight to Lian's house after clinic, because there's food in Lian's house! This boy has to eat, it's already 12pm. So finally at Lian's house, he eat some nestum at 1pm. Lian said even though he was so weak and unwell, he still remember to pray... such a sweet boy. :) After nestum, he drank milk at 5pm and that's it. I picked him up, at home during dinner, he only ate corners of a quarter of the bread for dinner. We made oats for him and offered twice, but unsuccessful.

22nd March morning he saw Jasmine eating biscuit in the car and wanted some too. I gave him some and also bread, he nibbles on them until we reach Lian's house. It caused major food mess in the car seat but I'm ok as long as he eats. Entering Lian's house, after milk he went straight to the snack cabinet and starts pointing. Lian said sometimes he refers to the biscuits, sometimes music. Means they know how to point at the radio to demand for some music, Kayden too. Anyway, that morning, Jasper wanted biscuits. So he got some digestives. Good boy is starting to eat a bit more. But according to Lian, that evening he only ate a few mouth of plain porridge.

In the car back home, he heard me eating biscuits and was making noise. So I passed him a piece, he nibbles on it again all the way home, it has bits of chocolates in it so his mouth was quite dirty by the time we're home. Don't mind about the mess in car seat.... it's really quite dirty though.

That night, dinner, Lian packed lo shu fan and vege. To our surprise, he loves it!! Or maybe he's recovering and feeling hungry. He chews and swallows the lo shu fan and the green vege.
After that I gave him some cornflakes while Jasmine sits down to do writing. I tried to give him some stickers to play while Jasmine writes so he doesn't disturb her but he was not interested. One night after dinner, he plays with the minion taken out from the cabinet upstairs after maids clean up.

25th March, refuse dinner again. Then in the car he ate some cheese cookies till he fell asleep. Then at 10pm he asked for food from Ah Yi. He got some pasta and oats.. he couldn't finish the oats, to which I added them into his bedtime milk. He drank 1/3 of it sitting on the high chair before we fed medicine and bath him, get ready for bed.


Medicine feeding is very tough. He spits them out all the time, he's such an expert. He cries even when he has not much voice. Few times he almost choke on the medicine and vomit, simply because we pump in by force with the shringe. We had no choice. It's also frustrating that whatever goes in, at least half will come out and gets wasted. I asked Lian how she do it, same method like before she said, she sits on the floor, lock his arms under her knee with all the medicine ready, she just pump into his mouth and whatever he spits out she push them back into his mouth. She somestimes blows into his face to get him to close mouth and swallow. Really appreciate her!! We tried to copy the method and it worked so much better. Somehow, when I am feeding, he is more willing to swallow the medicine. So there's much lesser wastage. And everytime after the medicine, he will get up and cry and look for me. Anyway, after a week we finally finish feeding him the medicine and he's recovered. Much better at eating too!
Munching on mangoes!


Everynight after dinner, the floor is usually dirty with food he throws out. Yes he throws food and we tried to discipline him not to, very strict and kept on warning till he stop doing. So after dinner I usually have to wipe the floor. And sometimes he comes hugging me from behind and gives his cute giggles. One night I asked Joshua to snap a picture (because I want to remember it), he suddenly switched from laughing to crying.






End of the month, one morning I asked him "Where is jeje?" and he points and replies "there!!"
27th March he also said "bear bear" when Joshua reading book with him. When he hears aeroplane fly by, he also said "airplane".

He is now allowed to climb up the stairs but stay to the wall side, because he had climbed up on his own more than 3 times all by himself, holding to the rails, which is so dangerous. He still doesn't really follow to the wall side because there's lesser support for him to climb up.

He plays with Jasmine's peppa pig bag one day.

Just dragging it around happily..

I asked whether Ah Ma can buy one for him, she immediately bought one and sent to my office. So that weekend, we opened up for him to play. He loves it.
Skip Hop dog roller bag.
One more week later, another bag arrived. It's a cute dinosaur bag. I made him wear it while playing with the red balloon on stick.

Second time I took him & Jasmine to F&N office, I was on MC that day.. but last minute gotten a call from headhunter for an interview next day. So that evening I picked up Jasmine, went to pick up Jasper and pop by office to get my laptop, for interview preparations.
When he was there, he was happily walking around and charming my colleagues who were still there. Then Jasmine needed to use the bathroom, so I took her and Jasper followed us into the toilet. He just follows me throughout, unwilling to be left behind.

Popular sale on Sunday, fell asleep while I bought some exercise books for Jasmine. We also went back again second round where I bought 2 blue plastic chairs.

The 2 blue chairs to replace the green ones, as the green ones were from my childhood days, so a bit flimsy for daily rough use. Just before the end of the month, he knocks his mouth against the new blue chair . Again bled a bit, we quickly give him pacifier to soothe him.




Really love how the blue chair works so well for him and blend in nicely into our living room. Not to bad for a RM24 chair.

His last few days at Lian's house, I tried to snap more photos and videos.
He has new friends there, Jerome and Jude. Lian said when Jude crawls around the house, he & Kayden will follow to crawl too.
Once when I was there, he lied down on the floor and started swimming around. Lian said he only does that when I'm around.
He has developed really good routine here. According to Lian, she lets him & best friend Kayden watch hi5 till 2.30pm, and will be nap time. She puts Kayden into the Ikea cot first and Jasper would be standing next to the big cot, waiting to go in too. And one day, both slept late because they didn't nap straight away, instead, they were communicating with each other. Kayden sang in his cot, Jasper claps and started throwing himself around in the cot.


(He was grinning over at Lian's youngest son. ) This is where he has his breakfast. 

Last day at Lian's house.. morning.

And when Kayden was going home. I couldn't be there earlier due to attending an interview in afternoon, picking Jasmine and waiting for Joshua to come with us. There were miscommunications that delayed us. :( I still feel bad for not being there to document his proper goodbye to little Kayden.
E.Laine told me Kayden hugged him goodbye. We arrived at 7pm. Earlier in afternoon I ordered a happy bunch delivery to Lian as a thank you. We stayed there to speak to Uncle Bala.. where he told us to go visit anytime we want to.
Jasper was running around picking out the leaves.

And we stay in the house to talk somemore while the kids play around...
Then we took group photos.
 So blessed to have known Lian.

So here goes another chapter. And to a another new one... 

Jasper, you will be going to Little Legend with Jeje ok? I am happy for you that you get to see Jeje more everyday... because another 1 year plus, Jeje will be attending formal school.. that one you cannot follow. :) So... yes cherish these 1 year plus... cherish each other, cherish your childhood. :) :) :) Muah!!

No comments: