Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Mini Milestones : Jasper's 17th month

At this stage, I have to admit it's hard not to compare your 2nd child to your 1st. In terms of good behaviours and good milestone achived. I feel so sorry and then I thought... hello I am also second child!!! Ok, Jasper you will turn out fine, just like me, or even better! :)
There were times I wish Jasper will be more like Jasmine, with good behaviour without irrational fears (he refuse to sit in the bath tub filled with water!!) and sleep better at nighttttt.... yes it's true.. but I am sure this phase will pass. And Jasper doesn't take punishment as a "NO" that easily. He continues to misbehave despite being beaten for the wrong-doing. I think.... consistency still is the way to go. Keep on punishing until he accepts it? I can't think of anything else. So it's really more work for us on Jasper than not... that's just how this kid is. He is God's gift to us, a gift. :) So yes, set the perspective right and I think parenthood won't be that bad. Haha.

I just read Jasmine's milestones at 17th month and made lots of mental note to myself :
(1) take more family photo with the big camera
(2) read more to Jasper to encourage him to love books
(3) sing more kid songs to him to encourage music loving
(4) take more videos & pics of his milestones like talk hello on phone, jumps, eat ice cream face....

Ok so here goes his achievements as 17th month old :)

On 1st April, he had mild fever and didn't want to eat his lunch at all. By dinner, he was a bit more receptive to food and didn't mind the omelette that Joshua cooked.

2nd April, refuse to eat lunch again after just few months. Dinner even worse. Only ate banana and some biscuits. The whole day he cries a lot.

We did a little bit of gardening at the front, where we got some coconut fibre from Daniel & Jade, to put on our flower bed to help contain moisture. Jasper was "helping" to pull out weed... and then... in one split second, he grab one old plant that didn't manage to grow, just an old branch, and put into his mouth!! We couldn't stop him in time, yucks!

Feeding medicine is tough on this one... but this time occassionally he takes in the medicine like an angel, heaven rejoices when there were no spills with the panadol and salbutamol. Yes!!

He jumps!! So cute to watch him do his baby jumps.
During after dinner playtime, he suddenly could blow the trumpet on his own.

Still wakes up multiple times during midnight. He calls me "ma ma..." and "mummy" and "ne ne". Sometimes he says nen nen but he is more towards saying nene by end of the month. Vaguely, I can hear him say " I want ne ne". And after he drank one side, he will say "a more?!" And I have to let him drink another side. Sometimes half way drinking he says it too, as if I am the one controlling the volume. @.@


I often only had this much of space to sleep on mainly because Jasmine would end up in the middle of both big pillows. 

One funny thing he's been doing since previous month is, when he's latching on, I asked him "Enough already?"  he will just shake his head, eyes close or open, same. Just shake head and refuse. One midnight I was feeding him, I just look down only! Without uttering a word, his eyes were close, he also shake his head. Haha.

He hits Jasmine with toys (eg. m&m fan) when she's sleeping on the floor mat. So we must remember to put her into the playpen whenever she's still sleeping and he's up.
And then later when I was changing for her, he too came pushing her away because he wanted me to carry him. Well, I read in Jasmine's 17th month, she too have used her sippy cup to hit both Joshua and I on the head & face. So I think Jasper's "violence" is normal, but he is much stronger than her. We are definitely facing a hard time disciplining this side of him, especially he doesn't fear repeating the bad behaviour even after feeling the pain of being punished.

Like wise, when Jasmine plays with fragile toys, we put him in the playpen too, to avoid damages...

3rd April, he started going to Little Legend together with Jasmine!! Cried during drop off and was protesting at the door... teacher had to forcefully carry him and I just have to leave the scene. Teacher told us Jasmine also didn't know how to play sister role, she refused to comfort him on his first day.
(when I went to pick up on day 2)
First day : breakfast was the 3in1 nestum which he eats most, lunch he ate a bit.. but rejected snacks. Thank God he eats the banana I packed. Although he coughing, we still gave him the banana, because is better to have abit more phlegm than to have empty stomach?

At night, he vomitted out his dinner & oats. And then vomit again after drinking formula milk, and after latching. We think is because of coughing, causing the reflux. Even midnight, when he got up for milk he also vomitted out on our bed but we didn't know. I just saw some smelly stains and then his whole head & mouth was also very smelly. Yeee... imagine the old milk. -_-

4th April, I told teacher about his stinky hair, they said they will bath him. But they didn't see his breakfast cereal so they served him fish biscuits, he didn't want to eat. It's the same biscuits Lian gave him but he rejected. Lunch, he only ate one spoonful of rice. I also packed a banana for him but they only gave him when I came to pick up. He ate 1/3 before we leave.

Whenever he sees me in evening, he would be so excited to come out and hug my legs.
5th April, he didn't eat anything at all in LL! They again didn't see the breakfast cereal I packed... and he refused lunch. They got Jasmine to feed him one whole banana in the evening. And I asked for some fish biscuits for him to munch in the car, sharing with Jasmine. On the way home, I pop by McD drive through for some fries.
He ate a lot. That night, Joshua took him upstairs, he was so tired that he fell asleep before I could come up to feed him.
We plan to give him some food before going to LL in morning, like me feeding him milk and let him hold & nibble on a small corner of bread in the car seat.

6th April, teacher finally remember to feed him his breakfast cereal! And thankfully he starts to eat lunch!! His snack was half banana. Such an achievement. I gave him snacks before dinner : pop corns, corn flakes and the muruku keropok. He is eating much better.

We realise that he gets very tired and sleepy by 9pm, clingy and very jelly when I want to put him down to do clean up or packing for the next day.
And whenever he sees the milk bottle, he will be anxious and kept on asking for milk. On 8th April, he was so sleepy he fell asleep before 8.30pm.

I let him sleep in the living room while I trim Jasmine's hair at the back. Then I wake him up to trim his hair too.  His new hair cut, I did a short fringe for him which immediately enhanced his beautiful eyes.

I cut the back shorter leaving a bit of a tail to show off his wavy hair. :) I like how it turned out.


Eating pattern is now better where he doesn't mind sitting down to eat. Even does the head tweaking to the side to show that he's happy with his food. We got it down on video!
If he refuses to open his mouth to accept food, we will either let him play with the phone (this boy must have the phone in his hands to play, unlike Jasmine treating it as TV hands off) or Joshua will play some games with him.




He is afraid of rotan. Whenever he stand on high chair or intentionally push the sofa backwards, I will warn with the rotan and he will stop the wrong behaviour.

Once he decided he is done eating, he will stop and never open his mouth again. That determined. Then we will release him from high chair and let him play on his own, we will try to call him to come to the dining table to eat (like how we do for Jasmine), he follows, happily comes and eat. There's few days where I fed him and he walks off, but he kept looking back, waiting for me to call him again for another mouth of food. If only he continues to be like this!
His top favourite and never reject snack is weetameal biscuits! He loves it more than fries.

During the LL fundraising dinner where Jasmine is at backstage for dinner & performance, Jasper sits in the stroller with us at the table. He ate some pasta, papadum and biscuits. Then at 9.30pm we fed him his all time favourite hot meal - oats.

Now LL teacher has been giving comments for few days that the breakfast cereal I packed was not enough and they had to top up with fish biscuits. Until I increased the amount to 4 table spoons, then is enough. In about 2-3 weeks he could finish one one pack of pristine oats and one medium pack of original nestum.

Sharing snacks with jeje - cornflakes, pinenuts, biscuits etc.



Playing with handsanitiser bottle in church.
Dinosaur bag from Ah Ma, now I filled the bag with different books and toys for him to play in church. 


Always curious about our starbucks mug, wants us to open for him to drink. He doesn't understand why we never open for him. 


He knows this is jeje's bag.

Sunday when he could go up stage to take a close look at guitars.








Homes, he plays with Isabel, Elijah, Kara & Jasmine but we had to take him out most of the time because he destroys their play stuffs. 
He would be out together with Kayleb.

Before 11th April, he cries everyday during drop off. But on 11th April he stops crying! He was smiling when arrive at LL and walks in himself sometimes.

We were reading the owl book on 13th April during bedtime and he spotted the aeroplane, saying "ehhh pane".

He also discovered Jasmine's piggy bank. He's mastered the skill to put coins into it but he kept asking for more and throws about the piggy bank, I was worried the handle is going to break soon.


Now he stops sitting down to get down the steps. Occassionally I see him use the playpen as support but soon, he does it independently. It does look risky and wobbly though. On 25th April night, he was doing some funny head shaking while walking down the step, he fell head down the steps brutally captured in a video on Anne's iphone. Ouch!

Wears his shoes standing with our help.

Sometimes before we could help, he already stepping on his shoes. And few times wearing his crocs, he will step into Joshua's shoes and start walking about at the front porch.

This month on & of he coughs and has running nose, we kept feeding him Zyrtec. Then we sent him to see Dr Koe, to which she said he's wheezing (not fit for vaccination) and so was given 3 tablets to squash and mix with Salbutamol to feed him.



Sunway Lagoon on rainy day. He wore my old cap from UQ days. 
Merry go round!


 up close and personal with the tiger. 

And bears.


Facetime with mummy! and he was calling "mama" here.

16th April lunch time, I went to Daiso Aeon Big for their closing down special deal RM3.50 where I bought a bunch of colourful socks for Joshua. When Joshua came back and tried on the socks in the kids room, both Jasmine and Jasper wants to wear the socks too. They did.. and



Jasper loves the slippery feeling, he played "fall down" non stop with the socks on.

Also wore other socks to play slippery fall down game.
That night, he also did one thing new which is the attention hand when drinking milk for second round. Jasmine kept requesting for second round of milk, when Joshua made for her, he had to make for him too. Haha.

Here's some milk drinking time downstairs. He's very funny when rush to lie down to receive milk bottle. We tried to video down the process.


See the strong kicks?






So from the Daiso sales, I bought the train set. It's 3 trains, with the middle one that's battery operated. After Joshua set it up for them, Jasper wow! Joshua did again, and he wow again when see the train just goes round and round automatically.

18th April, poor boy got bitten by Zyon at LL during play time. It left quite a huge mark on his right arm.
Joshua was not happy but I knew Jasmine used to bite Ashley & Glen last time so I was more forgiving. That night Joshua bought back some super xo durian and Jasper tasted it! He didn't mind durian!
One of the funniest thing he did that Jasmine never did was this, when I was wiping the floor, he comes hugging me from behind and gave that cute cheeky laughs.
And most times when we got our phone to video it, he turned the laughs into manja cries.

19th April, poor boy got time out by teacher because he pushed Jasmine... or hit Jasmine... bully jeje. Sigh. Teacher also said he insisted on feeding himself lunch, so often created a mess. Celina said during lunch time, when she distributing the lunch bowls, he will make noise when he was not yet given his. I think he likes the routine there. :)

Midnight 3am when he was already sleeping on our bed, I woke up to pee and can't believe my ears, I heard him laugh in his sleep!! Too funny!!

He now loves aeroplane, points at aeroplane whenever we spot one flying pass our house. When we asked how does the aeroplane fly? He will do the hand swinging action.

We went back to Muar on 22nd April weekend.
Jasper couldn't keep his mouth closed throughout the journey.
We went to the mini zoo in Muar where he was introduced to some animals. His first time!


It was a very hot day.







Group selfie.

Saw Jasmine ride on a little pony. We wanted to let him ride too but we felt he's too young for it. 

After the mini zoo, we went to a nearby coconut farm to buy fresh coconuts.

This trip to Muar we took back the inflatable pool, we intend to let the kids play with water at the back but because they both were still coughing, we changed the plan to make it into a floor mat with lots of blankets and pillows - their nap place!

They went nuts.
Drink milk in a fresh new area.




And play with this supposedly slide but never really function as one.


At night, while waiting for Joshua to come back from cybercafe game with my brother, the kids even slept there. Although few times Jasper rolled over to Jasmine's side and almost waking her up.



Morning in our room upstairs. 
He was supposed to be sleeping in the playpen but cried angrily at 5.45am, so angry that he only wants to be fed when lying down on my left. I tried putting him with me on the muar bed, but he was on my right for a change, he couldn't accept it.

Went out for dinner in the CRV.

We have a set of duplo that we keep in Muar for them to play when we're here. 



Morning time with Ah Ma on the stone chair.
He points at birds and said "beh".

Bath time.




Breakast at 434 finally. 

Taken care by Ah Ma so that we could eat in peace.

While waiting for Ah Ma and Ah Yi to buy things at market, Jasper played driving at the driver seat.
Also had time to play piano together with je je upstairs.


Dinner at ting ting, worse wait ever.
Lunch at Star, before we drive home. 
Before the Muar trip, Jasper was having green eye discharge and a lot of watery mucus for about a week, thankfully LL didn't reject him and it didn't affect his sight and comfort. We just have to keep wiping them away. He even vomitted once before the Muar trip. By the time we are in Muar, his eye discharge and mucus had reduced significantly but he seemd to have passed it on to Jasmine.
When he is in front of me and Jasmine behind him, I was checking her eyes (the green discharge), he pushed her away.

On 25th April, after feeding him milk, he threw up again. I have washed many set of my clothes, his clothes and bed clothes. That night he already slept on our bed, then he found the bottle filled with milk which we made for him earlier but he fell asleep, so he asked me to open for him to drink. I was so blur just open for him, he drank all and returned to me then went back to sleep.

Followed me to catch up dinner with the EY friends. I am very proud of my kids. Jasper is the only boy.

Then a week later, took them along to attend Tara's birthday party with the flamingo theme. With Anne's help, we survived.

They played petting the flamingo.
And also playing with the many helium balloons.

Joshua's first attempt at science project with them (follow dad lab in facebook).



Play time with jeje. Here I told them these are their helmets. It's painful if worn in wrong direction.

He loves to switch on the music in the yellow car and dance according to it. Occassionally close the lid to hear the faded music. 

He was trying to pass through between playpen and sofa to fetch a fallen piece of toy.
In the "car" with jeje upstairs. So narrow!


Needed help to come out.



He grew interested in this box that contains 6 small books. Played until it's torn and broken mostly because he sometimes intentionally step on it.

Sharing rocking chair with jeje.








Jeje feeding him milk.

This one here is so funny. No one was hurt.
Very hot day but wrapped by Jasmine in his nap mat.
Pretend feed.

After vomit or messy meal, we remove everything, left diaper, ready to take him upstairs to bath. 
He likes to help himself with the plastic containers here.

Plays with the hush puppies dog.

Aggressive boy, hits Jasmine very hard on her back when she took his toys away and we were still in negotiation with her to give the toys back to him. Whole new level of parenthood to us!

He's been very curious whenever he sees us and Jasmine brush teeth. So on 16th April, I finally bought him a toothbrush and started to brush his teeth. He had about 12 teeth and 2 more growing on the upper gum. 17th April he got very impatient when Joshua brushing teeth for Jasmine, he can't wait for his turn.


Expert in peeling off stickers, especially those in masterbedroom at the back of the chest drawers.
The sticker he peels off, he will put into his mouth and then smile at us. -_-
He still put things into his mouth and this month I started to flick his cheek whenever he does it. Including when he spits out food during meals.

When Jasmine does writing, he joins in too. But he will put pencil and pen into his mouth so I tried to avoid giving him those. Once in a blue moon he tries to draw too and I noticed he can hold pen the correct way, just that he held it too close to the tip.

He loves to eat fruits, all kinds of fruits. Grapes, mangoes, apples, oranges. This is something Jasmine never like even till now. When we gave him grapes, he eats faster than her and whenever he's given a new one he can be so happy he does some funny dance with mini quick steps in the kitchen.

27th April, he was too sleepy that he didn't want to eat dinner. By 3.30am he was screaming in our room even after drinking 2 bottles of milk, and wanting to bang his head on the bed. Joshua took him downstairs, and made oats for him. He fed himself and come up to the room smiling at me, drank milk again and slept.

Finally on 29th April, we took him to Dr Koe, he's all well and could receive the chicken pox booster jab.

I like to bath both kids together, they play cutely together. One time, Jasper slipped and fell but didn't knock anything thank God, he didn't cry. I freaked out a little but I thinkkkk I didn't show.

Bedtime reading, his favourite is the sesame street phonics book, G page - Guitar!! He always imitate playing guitar and then the next page is H - Hat, he puts his hands on his head. Every.time.

We went to Sunway Lagoon, we concurred the suspension bridge.

He was walking on his own initially but when reach the area where we can look down and see the beach etc, he got scared and wants to be carried.
When walking towards the beach here, there are some ladies sitting on the bench watching him like his fans. He's really cute here.


Very strangely, he doesn't like to enter water, he has this weird irrational fear of dipping in the pool. I can't understand why, just last year November, we took them to the wave pool for the first time and he was so cool about it! Sigh.. thinking of ways to make him like water fun.


It was then raining and we let them play sand under Joshua's supervision.
He puts sand in his mouth. Joshua couldn't stop him in time.




After Sunway Lagoon, we went to Pyramid for dinner, Joshua was carrying him and walking to the restaurant, he saw Citibank balloons from far and kept saying "ball ball ball ball" Joshua didn't get it and was passing by where he cried angrily! Joshua then understood that he wants those balloons! Got one for him and he happily grab on to it the whole time.
We had buffet dinner with the Wongs and Khoos. He fed himself his dinner, random food, veges, meat and fruits. Made a mess but thank God we don't need to clean up. And he fell asleep after a good meal.

He started to manipulate me. One night in the car on our way to Taipan, he cried so loud for nen nen, after I took him out, he didn't want to face me to drink milk. He kept on wanting to face front and smiling broadly looking at the moving traffic.

Visited baby Avalily. He points and calls "baby". When asked where's mummy's baby? He points to himself.

Ate roti canai as dinner that night.





No comments: