Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Learn from mistake

After sewing all my 593s, I immediately thought of this skirt. :P



This was the last time I wore it out. I remember this photo was taken after we came back from Peng Ho's birthday surprise.

I bought it from Supre Warehouse at Harbour Town in year 2005. I love the flower prints on it, the soft colours makes it look so feminine. :) But.. I seldom wear it. I wore it less than 5 times. It is too short.. especially when the wind blows, I feel as if I am on display! :(

So I thought......... maybe I can turn it into a pair of shorts?? :D

So the search began... and I found this blog http://sewlil.blogspot.com/2007/10/tutorial-t-shirt-into-shorts.html

I printed out the tutorial and study the photos in detail. I tried to imagine my skirt is the t-shirt in the demo.



First I sew the centre lines, both front & back. Then I fold the sewed part to the sides, and fold again, so the 2 centre lines are on top of one another. Here, I drew a line, this is supposed to be the crotch area. I think it's the trickiest part! You'll know why I say this later. ;) After drawing the lines on both sides, I open the skirt up again, and pin it according to the lines.



I sewed it.. and cut the extras away. Turn the shorts out.. and here !



My heart beat was twice faster than normal when I tried on the shorts! :( Much to my disappointment... the crotch area was very untidy... it looked tight.. :( The line I drew was too steep.. I shouldn've drew a smaller and flatter triangle... I tried many ways to save it, tried as much as I can to sew the crotch lower.. but because I cut too much extras away... it doesn't change anything. Ah... my pink skirt.. has sacrificed itself. :( 它终于壯烈地牺牲了...

I remember me telling my mum about this little project of transforming my skirt into shorts, she said it's too much work and that I should just send it to a tailor. Well, I didn't regret. :D I had fun trying out something new. It didn't turn out positively, but I can't deny that I enjoy the process, the anticipation I have when I pull through the threads. Haha...life is such.. nothing is all the way smooth and easy. :) Learn from mistakes and do it better next time. 失败是成功之母! I am sure I can do it better next time!

2 comments:

Affiliate Marketer said...

you should blog about how u turned my jeans into skinny jeans!! :)

Joan said...

That was just minor adjustment, you can't see much difference. Just more suited to your big butt body shape. Haha! :P