Thursday, October 22, 2015

Changes for my 2 year old Jasmine

Since her 2 year old birthday on 5th September 2015, there has been a series of changes... and up to today, the changes has not stopped.... We definitely see her struggle to accept the changes, disrupting her routine, affecting her behaviour and in some areas we see her moving backwards instead of forward.

So what are the changes?

(1) 6th September : move from sleeping in wooden cot to mattress on floor


She's slept on the cot since she's brought back from the hospital... so far she's never requested to be put back into the cot but she developed a new habit to drink nen nen on the mattress in masterbedroom instead! She will cry and not drink if we say no. If you allow, even at 3am in the morning she would be walking over happily to drink her 2oz of nen nen. After that she either will agree to go back to her room or insist on continuing her sleep in masterbedroom.

(2) 18th September : last day at Lian's house in SS12

We have known since middle of the year that Lian has to move out from the rental property as soon as possible. I wish she has told me earlier of her moving plans so I can help them to source for an affordable property in Subang... when she told me, they have already placed booking fee for a house in Kota Kemuning. It was a shocking news to me that caused me some depression for days..... First, I thoroughly enjoyed the distance. Second, sending to day care would require us to cook dinner for Jasmine everyday which we are not used to. Third, we would have to spend additional RM250 per month. Cut long story short, we eventually decided to continue to send Jasmine to Lian, that means I have to go in and out Kota Kemuning everyday before & after work. Also means I can't change job until we decide to bid Lian farewell. So on 18th September, it was Jasmine's last day in the familar house, the house she's known since she was 4 months old. I still remember the happy kids noises when Lian took care of 6 children! Starting this year, was down to only 2, 3 occassionally... this house layout is ideal to me, bright and has a nice play corner in the kitchen where TV is completely out of sight. I had to tell myself.... that I too need to let go... Jasmine? She has no idea what was coming next.

(3) 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th September : sent to Little Legends in SS19

Lian needs 2 weeks off to move out and attend church camp. So we sent Jasmine to Little Legend on the first week. 24th September was a public holiday. She was happy to see friends when Joshua dropped her off. Friends like Kara, Jerome.... and she made new friends like Natalie, Odelia.... But poor girl, she ate little at breakfast, half bowl of whatever they feed at lunch and struggled to settle down for naps. First day no nap at all. Second day 30 minutes. Third day and Forth day 1.5 hours. On her 3rd and 4th day, we heard she cried a little bit more when she realised that Joshua sneaked off. We also noticed that she's eating more independently at home, most likely because other kids fed themselves at Little Legend. Joshua had to plan what to cook for her on the 4 days which was not easy...

(4) 28th September to 2nd October : at home with Ah Ma

2nd week, my mum came to stay with us. Jasmine loves her Ah Ma but she can become unreasonable when Ah Ma is around. She knows who spoils her. So this week, she went on food strike. Not even one mouthful she will be willing to eat. 28th and 29th I took mc to rest at home, I battled with her during lunch. I saw how hard my mum planned out interesting meals for her, and she outright rejected. I had to tell Jasmine, this is between you & me. When mummy feed, you have to eat. And put down your right hand (she uses her right hand to push away the spoon). I was like a monster, stuffing food into the mouth of a crying kid. I made up my mind that she needs to eat. Sometime we adult will have bad appetite, but we have to eat to live! This girl must learn this. Certain things she shouldn't be given a choice. When she said "No" I told her "I didn't ask, I said eat." It sounded really mean and my mum didn't dare to interrupt..... I was really hoping I was doing the right thing. After feeding, I will carry her to tell her nicely why I had to do that. Joshua did the same too when she rejected her dinners. So the whole week was a lot of crying during meal times.

(5) 5th October onwards : send to Lian's new house in Kota Kemuning

In the past, I will go to work at 8.30am and Joshua sends her to SS12 at 9am.
Now, I have to wake up at 6.30-6.45am, and leave the house with Jasmine in the car by 7.15-7.30am. Reach Lian's house by 8am and still arrive at office before 8.30am. On my side, I am training myself to leave the house early and reach office early so that when I return to work after my 2nd maternity, I can opt for 8am-5pm. Anyway, for Jasmine.... that means she can't be waking up at 8am and still play with daddy & mummy. She would be sleeping in car seat and wake up when we arrive at Lian's house - a completely new place to her. First week, she cries and refused to let me leave for work. Lian had to distract her with her toys, or bring her out to the garden, or simply asking her to go to kitchen to get food. I tried to leave work sharp to fetch her home. The journey home is also triple the time or more now. Once it was raining heavily and sky turned dark, 7pm felt like 8pm. Jasmine cried all the way home. I was driving and concentrating on the traffic in the midst of heavy rain. To add on to the misery, my petrol tank was blinking!! I lost my patience and could only tell Jasmine "stop crying. Enough." which made her cry even louder. -_- We got home by 7.30pm and it was pitch dark. I questioned myself whether this arrangement is really good for us??  In the past, when we reach home from Lian, it would be somewhere 6.30pm to 7pm, we could stay out in the garden looking for neighbour dogs or birds in the sky or water the plant or let Jasmine pluck some Ixora before we go into the house. Now? The time we reach home is dinner time. We lost the quality time travelling on the road. :(   She would still insist on watering the plant, so we still do it at 7pm or 7.15pm....

(6) 19th October : sent to Little Legend for 1 day (Lian's medical check up day)
This is inevitable. Lian is 57 years old this year, she's diabetic & recently removed a cyst from her breast so she goes for periodical medical check up. We thought we would take the day off to take care of her instead of sending to Little Legend but I felt I was too big to be home alone with her. Especially after the whole indigestion incident. And on Friday Joshua fell sick and felt guilty staying around her too much. Although he was on MC on Monday, we felt that is better to send Jasmine to Little Legend. Actually now that I think back, the kids at day care probably also carry flu bug that can spread to her too. Anyway I had a busy & tiring day at work, Joshua managed to get complete rest, poor Jasmine was totally NOT-OK the whole day. Pastor Sarah had to forcefully carry her to avoid her from hugging Joshua's leg, preventing him to leave in the morning. Janet told us she ate very little bread at breakfast, no lunch & milk at all and only slept at 4.30pm. She was calling out for mummy and daddy the whole time she was crying. They said she would be a little more calm if they bring her to the kitchen. :( Joshua picked her up at 6pm and I got home at 6.15pm. We immediately gave her a cup of farmhouse milk and a pack of milo nuggets. She didn't eat much dinner... but at 9pm we fed her a big bowl of oats (almost 3 table spoons with milo & picky eater milk powder). She slept at 10.30pm after a series of drama asking for more milk after drinking 2 rounds, asking for cream to apply on arms & legs, kept getting up to explore the room.. she was tired but she couldn't settle down to sleep. We had to be very stern to the extent we even took out the rotan (yellow balloon stick) because she was crying loudly for no reasons and plainly refused to lie down to sleep.

Daddy mummy feel sorry for you Jasmine, although we know you are still adapting to the whole series of never-ending changes, but we had to set our foot down to be stern with you at times to ensure the negative behaviours are not over-encouraged until it becomes your normal behaviour or your go-to solutions.

Changes don't stop here, there's more to come.......

(7) To train her to sleep by 10pm every night and wake up at 7am
When she was much younger, she used to sleep by 9.30pm! Now she sleeps by 11.30pm or sometimes even 12am! It all started when we pro-longed her sleep time just so we can finish watching My Kitchen Rules which ends only at 9.30pm... and then we introduced brushing teeth after drinking milk, one extra activitiy. And now she would run to masterbedroom to drink nen nen on the mattress, then play chasing with us whenever we ask her to brush teeth. She would be wide awake by 10.30pm when we say it's time to read books. So we just started for 2 days so far, we are going to be consistent to bring her up between 9pm to 9.30pm and make sure she lie down to sleep by 10pm. We will be stern to block her from standing up again from the sleep position. She's been giving excuses like she wants more nen nen or need cream for itchy hands and legs, I have told her no to those requests. Lets hope she will cooperate with us on this! If she can sleep early, she should be able to get up by 7am or earlier every morning, then we can drink water or communicate a bit more before the long drive to Lian's house. :) I believe that will be much better for all of us!

(8) Remove the mattress in masterbedroom, wooden cot from her room to masterbedroom

Sooner or later, we have to shift the wooden cot to masterbedroom. It will be easier for me to hear Jasper at night and more convenient to feed him in our room. I hope to do this earlier.. .but half of me feeling sad to see Jasmine losing her favourite spot to drink her bedtime nen nen. We might do it this weekend or next, really hope she won't be too devastated to see her favourite spot removed! We will put it back when Jasper finally shares one room with Jasmine, which we plan to be after his fullmoon. But bear in mind.. sharing room with Jasper who might wake up crying in middle of night would be another change to Jasmine..........

(9) Welcome her little brother Jasper, estimate to be early December

She knows where to point when we asked "where is 弟弟?" but none of us know how much the arrival of new family member will affect her. We can only pray... and give her sufficient assurance and attention.

(10) Stay at home with us during my confinement month
Joshua should be home with me for at least 2 weeks. My mum will be with me for 2 weeks or more. Anne should be also with me till the end of my confinement. Little Legend will be closed from mid to end December. Lian is 30 minutes away. So we decided Jasmine will be home with us during my confinement, probably good for her to get to know her little brother too. :) I sure hope she won't pull out her "food strike" card again!

(11) Send to Little Legend during my maternity 2nd month
When Joshua goes back to work, mummy goes back to Muar and Anne probably start working. I will have to cater my lunch from Mr. Rice Corner and Jasmine has to be taken care by someone else.... the only option available for us is Little Legend, unless Joshua doesn't mind going in and out of KK the whole month? Or Anne will be available to help ferry Jasmine to and fro KK? That's still up for discussion.......

(12) Jasper to sleep in same room
Eventually, I want my kids to share the same room. And for that to happen smoothly, it has to be as soon as possible, best is before I go back to work. I pray and declare that Jasper will be a NON-COLIC baby! For Jasper to get use to Jasmine I don't think will be an issue. But for Jasmine to get use to Jasper waking up few times a night... we really don't know.

(13) Back to Lian's house in KK, together with Jasper...
When I return to work eventually, the whole routine of leaving the house by 7.15am will be back on full force. And this time instead of loading 1 Jasmine into the car, Joshua has to load 1 Jasmine and 1 Jasper into the car. I hope by then Jasmine is already used to getting up at or before 7am. I also hope she would be happy to go back to Lian's house after the 2 months break! She's never taken such a long break from Lian's house............

So by penning these down, I can see that Jasmine is only half way through the changes until things can be a bit more settled and predictable.... And these would only end by somewhere around February 2016? She would be 2.5 years old by then... can't deny that part of growing up is to embrace and adapt to changes. As much as I wish she don't grow up so much, we can't stop the clock from ticking, can we? :)  We have not start planning on when to send her to kindergarten, that's another round of change, and it's a huge one!  We definitely have been discussing on sending both Jasmine Jasper to Little Legends once Jasper starts to walk. That could be increasing our expenditure easily by RM800 every month so we have to prepare ourselves for that..... see, even we adults dislike changes! God help us.... give us wisdom as we lead the little ones... :) give us patience as well... when dealing with resistance..... which applies to ourselves too. :)


No comments: