Friday, November 26, 2010

what Ebay taught me

I must admit that this is a painful lesson.

I always make sure I get good deals when it comes to shopping for clothes. I always believe it's not the branded clothes that make me look good, but I make the clothes I wear look like they're branded.

So price, is very important to me. Cheap, buy. Not cheap, do I really like it or need it? Expensive, think more! Only in certain scenarios I will be willing to pay a bit more, especially when it comes to a dress that I've been looking for at all places I go to, or a particular style that's hard to get one with the right cutting.

Lately, I've been window shopping on Ebay. It started when Anne went to the US to visit our grandma for 3 weeks, I figured I could buy some cheap stuffs over Ebay US. As mentioned in earlier posts, I bought a gown storage bag for RM15 and 2 coach bags for RM240. I thought they're really good deals... although I believe the vintage coach bags which comes in a pair of brown & black (from the 70s) could've been purchased at a much lower price, but I had to make sure they reach San Francisco before Anne goes to the airport, so counting in the timing and also the condition of the bags, I figured I did my best to make sure I get the best deal.

Early this month, I was attracted to some pretty polka dot dresses on online catalogs and blogs. I've always been a polka dot fan but I don't own that many polka dot dresses myself. So I began my search. Started with nearby boutiques, one simple dress could easily cost me RM100 to RM200. The quality doesn't even justify the price marked! I thought about Ebay again, but my relatives in Ebay US don't come back often... then I remember Joshua's brother who's studying in UK. I hopped over to Ebay UK and found quite some polka dot dresses!

I started to participate in auctions and it really takes training to be on the winning side. That 14th Nov weekend in Muar, I lost 2 auctions in a row. And both these times my house internet connection went down in the final 30 mins and computer hanged in the final 30 seconds. >.< It was so frustrating!



I decided I cannot lose another one. Sigh. I wish I wasn't so competitive. There's this particular blue dress that I've seen different sellers sell. I kept losing the auction either because I'm not fast enough or I don't think the price is reasonable. 8pounds to 10pounds including postage. That morning after losing 2 auctions, I found another seller listed that same blue dress of my size, with "buy it now" price 10 pounds. With postage it's 12 pounds. I immediately discussed with Anne, whether I should just "buy it now" to secure myself with the dress, with at least a dress! In my head - this is the safest way. I thought I can never beat those experienced ebay buyers over intensive auctions. So... I bought the dress for 12 pounds. RM63. I honestly felt it's a bit too much to pay for a used dress which I cannot try on first, but I was too weak to fight further. I can't afford to lose another one.

Last week, I found numerous sellers listing the exact same blue dress! You may ask, how come? Because it's a dress from Primark. Inexpensive to own and I reckon these people may not be a polka dotie like me to keep polka dot dresses in their wardrobe for too long? I wanted to justify the 12 pounds spent on this dress, so, I watched the dresses, waiting to see the last bid placed on them, 6 pounds.... my heart growed heavier when I see the price dropped from the previous 8 pounds I saw. Another auction ended this morning, guess how much was the dress including postage? 4 pounds (RM21). There was only 1 bid. -_-" Joan.. you lose, you lose big time.

I also discovered that this dress comes in a different colour as well, i.e. grey. And the ending bid for the grey one was only 5 pounds. RM26. I could've owned this dress in both blue & grey with the 12 pounds I spent and still get back some change!! AHHH !!!!!! If only, I could calm myself down and stay patient and do more research.... I would not over-spend on this blue dress!



I thought I won by "buying it now". But I realised, I've actually lose. Winning doesn't mean "winning the auction", it's how I deal with "losing the auction" and not be affected emotionally and start to lose rationales. If I have dealt with my disappointments and frustrations the right way, I would be a happier girl now. I remember praying everytime I place bid, " God if this is mine, let me get it." I guess the "buy it now" offer put the decision in my hand and I chose the short cut, which God allowed, because.. now I learn...

Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet. I should've waited for the sweet fruit..忍一时,风平浪静; 退一步,海阔天空. 我当下应该忍忍,应该退一步...

No comments: