Thursday, September 22, 2011

Group 4 Security - Security Guards



Uncle Charles shared some of his experience of working as a security guard for a year in London, to save up sufficient money to further his studies in America. :) Here's what he wrote in email, he's always ready to share his part of story, His-Story. Hehe.


During the summer I worked with your dad at a French Bank, security guard with Group 4 Security. I do not like this assignment because I cannot sleep. The bank staffs work in the computer room and we need to sign them in and out. However, I need to earn money to make my way to USA, so I worked as a guard for one year, 7 days a week.

My regular assignment was with Ellis and Goldstein a fashion designer and manufacturing at Aldgate. In this place I was on my own. I could sleep because Mr. Goldstein always found me reading my book and stopped to ask me why I was working as a guard. Then he asked me to walk him to his car, we chattted and he told me he will call my company and tell them that I do not have to make my rounds and clock the keys. He even offered me his private office, drinks etc and told me I can sleep at the first aid station bed if I want to. This was the best assignment and he told the company to assign me as the permanent guard for as many hours I can work. Word got around how wonderful this assignment was, so many requests were made to get in here. But they have to clock the keys and do the rounds every 2 hours. Only I was exempted by Mr. Goldstein. He was furious when he found out that when I reassigned on arbitrary to other locations and the guards that replaced me did not make the rounds. He wanted me there and nobody else - he made that clear to Group 4 Security and he wanted to even be advised of my off days.

I can never forget this Jewish man for his kindness and generosity.

That was how your dad join Group 4. It was an easy job but the hours were bad (nights, from as early as 6pm till the next morning when the regular company guards arrives).

On these assignments there were many adventures - too long to write. If you need to know I will tell you in person.

Your mom worked as a store detective but when she apprehended a woman shop lifting, there was a brawl..ask her she can never forget this incident!




My mum's been talking about her experience as a store detective since we were young, and lately I just asked her again, it was really fun to hear her stories. I will write down soon. On my way to completing it. :D

Mum mentioned that my daddy couldn't work as the security guard for very long because he had to attend classes during the day.. without proper sleep he coulnd't concentrate and it was really a testing time. He dropped the job after a while, although the money was good. :)


Taken in a restaurant in Gold Coast, December 2005, when Uncle Charles came to my graduation together with my mum and grandma. :)

Taken in San Francisco when my mum visits Uncle Charles & grandma in year 2009.

Taken at a local coffee shop in Muar, early September 2011. :)

About Uncle Charles's adventures as security guards, during his short trip back in Malaysia early this month, we didn't have a chance to talk about it. :) I'm sure he will share when he meet again... I don't know when. If God provides, Joshua and I would love to visit him at San Francisco!

No comments: